Commercial Lease Disputes
When a lease dispute disrupts your business, whether you are a landlord or tenant, the priority is to get it resolved quickly and efficiently. For every month that your rent is not paid, for every month that your landlord does not deal with your issue to your satisfaction, your business may be losing a great deal of money.
The commercial lease dispute lawyers at Ridout Barron deal with Alberta landlord-tenant law and the disputes that arise between landlords and tenants in the Calgary area on a regular basis. We can solve your problem efficiently and decisively so that you can get back to business.
Causes Of Disputes
Our business litigation lawyers have experience with a wide range of issues that can cause problems between commercial landlords and tenants, including:
- Breach of commercial lease
- Rent, such as unexpected increases in rent, refusal or inability to pay, or tenant dispute of a rent increase
- Lease renewals and terminations, especially for businesses that may need to suddenly relocate or landlords who need to unexpectedly find a new tenant
- Repairs and maintenance, particularly if there is disagreement over who is responsible for a repair or type of maintenance
- Breach of a promise such as an agreement not to allow a “similar” business in a mall, especially if there is disagreement over whether a new tenant’s business is “similar” to that of a current tenant
- Additional rent inclusions and disputes arising from changes in rent inclusion rates
- Common area maintenance costs and disagreements over who is responsible for them and by how much
- Landlord indemnifications
- Financing and foreclosures
- Fraud and misrepresentation, or allegations of fraud and misrepresentation, by either landlord or tenant
If you are a landlord, we can help this part of your portfolio return to being an asset instead of a liability. If you are a tenant, we can speak on your behalf to the landlord and be an effective voice to make sure your business does not continue to suffer from your dispute.