COVID 19 NOTICE - We are compliant with all Covid restrictions and sensitive to various clients’ inability to meet in person at this time. We will accommodate this to the best of our ability, whether through phone, online meetings, or outdoor visits.

We have moved.
But not too far.

As of May 25,2019 our new address is:

802 13th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0L2
Nothing else has changed.

Intelligent, Practical Solutions

For over 100 years, Ridout Barron has been dedicated to solving our clients' problems creatively and efficiently.



When does a constructive trust form part of estate planning?

An Alberta court can order a constructive trust to right a wrong that led to one party being financially abandoned, abused or taken advantage of by another party. Although such an order can be issued in family court, it also forms part of estate planning under certain circumstances. When the court finds that one party lawfully owes the other party specific property, it can order that the obligated party hold the property in a constructive trust for the other party.

This could involve a family member who believes he or she is owed an inheritance. In many cases, such a court order follows a claim of unjust enrichment by one spouse against the other. To make such a claim, the claiming spouse must prove that he or she suffered deprivation due to the defendant’s enrichment, and the enrichment must have happened without any legal reason.

A constructive trust is necessary when one party has a legal claim to specific property, not necessarily ordered by the court. However, if the court orders a monetary award to the claiming party, as the result of unjust enrichment, a constructive trust is not created. But the court can order the property owner to give the claimant a percentage interest in the ownership of the property, in which case it is called a remedial constructive trust.

Anyone in Alberta who has questions about the right to specific property or inheritance may find the answers by consulting with an experienced estate planning lawyer. Legal counsel can assess the circumstances to determine whether the necessary connection exists between the property owner and the claimant. The lawyer can then explain the rights of the claimant and advocate for him or her throughout ensuing legal proceedings.




Ridout Barron
802 13th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0L2
Phone: 403-278-3730
Fax: 403-271-8016
Calgary Law Office Map


There is free 2 hour street parking at our new location.

We Use Video

We can use video conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex or Facetime in order to meet your needs through online virtual meetings

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook
Follow Us On LinkedIn